Apple Crumb Cake

Apple Crumb Cake

Today I thought I’d share with you my favorite apple coffee cake recipe. Several years ago I stumbled across it online and quickly wrote out the recipe.

One day I went to make the recipe again and I could not find it anywhere. I looked through all my recipe books and files. I scoured the internet looking for the recipe again and couldn’t find it. I originally found it on the website of a bed and breakfast, but this time nothing was coming up.

I was heartbroken. I thought for sure I had accidentally thrown out the recipe, never to be found again. Thankfully, it turned up one day and I made sure to put it in a place where I could find it again.

Needless to say, this Apple Crumb Cake is Ah-maz-ing! The yogurt keeps it super moist, and depending on the type of apples you use, it has the perfect balance of tangy and sweet. It is great for a breakfast or brunch, and could even be used as a dessert. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do.

Apple Crumb Cake

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup plain yogurt (I’ve also used plain Greek Yogurt)
  • 2 large baking apples, cored and diced into small bites (2 cups)
  • Topping
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tblsp unsalted butter

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8×8 inch cake pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time blending well. Stir in vanilla.
  3. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture in batches, alternating with yogurt. Mix until blended.
  5. Fold in apples and pour batter into cake pan.
  6. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or using your fingers until the sugar mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
  7. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack. Invert and place onto a serving platter.

Update: This recipe was featured at…

Katherine’s Corner.

Facebookby feather

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Apple Crumb Cake

1. I saved this on Pinterest so I can make it sometime. Thanks for sharing.

2. Abby says:

This looks wonderful! Pining to try later, thanks!

3. Looks delicious, too bad I only have Fuji apples on hand. Shall I experiment with this one?

***The Quiet Mom blogging Ostrich Salpicao Recipe (http://thequietmom.com/blog/recipe/ostrich-salpicao)

4. Winnie says:

It’s a fantastic cake! It’s one of our favorites 🙂

5. Cathy says:

This cake looks delicious!! I pinned it!

6. bj says:

O, my…this sounds so delicious….a must try, for sure.

7. I wish I had this right now…it sounds so good!! Thanks for sharing on the Thursday blog hop and have a warm weekend ahead!!

8. AnnMarie says:

This sounds so good! I love apple anything so I am pinning this! Thank you! Visiting from Thursday Favorite Things!

9. oh this looks and sounds so yummy. I am so happy you shared this post at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop . Big Hugs

10. Jann Olson says:

I love apple crumb cake and this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC. Pinned.
    hugs,
    Jann

11. Miz Helen says:

Your Apple Crumb Cake would just be delicious,we would really enjoy it. Thanks so much for helping us celebrate Three Years at Full Plate Thursday. Have a good week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

12. Wow this sounds amazing! I think I just need to buy some plain yogurt and I can get cooking! I’m featuring this at my link party tonight and pinning!

13. Kenneth Goh says:

Thanks for sharing at 4 seasons blog hop. The cake looks delish and I shall try one day.

14. Krista Low says:

I love apple cakes and a crumb topping just makes everything better! I just pinned this and will have to make it soon 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with me @ Great Idea Thursday’s 🙂

15. Beverly says:

This cake looks yummy. I am pinning this. I like to find nice cake ideas that I can send in to my husbands office. This looks like one of those.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Bev

16. Hi Christie – this cake sounds delicious! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend – pinned! Hope you are having a wonderful week!