“What’s Wrong with Warm Soup?”

What's Wrong with Warm Soup

Almost two years ago, my husband and I anxiously awaited the birth of our son. Our nerves were raw as we hoped and prayed that the birth parents wouldn’t change their minds after his birth.

During this time I met a woman who was campaigning in our area. She was an outgoing, friendly woman who seemed to know a lot about what was going on in our town. As we moved to the topic of children, I shared that I was hoping to become a mom in the next several weeks through the gift of adoption.

I will never forget what she told me. She said, “The thing about being a mom is that I really miss hot soup. Dinner is ready and my husband needs something and then my daughter needs something. I finally sit down and my daughter needs help with her food. By the time I’m able to eat my soup is warm. I really miss hot soup.”

As someone who waited for years to welcome a baby into my arms, I wanted to say, “What’s so wrong with warm soup? That’s what a microwave is for!” Even now, as we are a few short months from celebrating my son’s second birthday, I would still want to say that.

Now, I do admit that I enjoy a bowl of hot soup. I really do like my food being hot. But I don’t want to view a bowl of warm soup as an inconvenience either. I want to see it as a blessing.

I love what a bowl of warm soup means to me and my home.

A bowl of warm soup means I am blessed with a child. It means I am blessed with extra cuddles and sloppy wet kisses.

A bowl of warm soup means my home is filled with more laughter and lots of energy.

A bowl of warm soup gives me someone to share breakfast and lunch with, and someone to talk to throughout the day. It gives me the satisfaction of hearing my little man say, “yummy” when he really likes the food I cooked for him.

A bowl of warm soup brings the blessing of listening to my son “play” the piano or strum a guitar. It means hearing my little boy hum a song and say sweet “I love you’s”.

A bowl of warm soup provides daily amusement as my son tries to mimic things my husband and I do or say.  It gives free entertainment as he wants to show off shooting “hoops” or jumping as high as he can across the floor.

A bowl of warm soup gives us extra reasons to smile as my son says words for the first time, learns new things and whispers secrets in our ears.

Yep. I think I’ll take a bowl of warm soup any day, along with all the blessings that come with them. And on the rare occasion that I have a chance to eat a bowl of hot soup, well, I’ll take that as a blessing too and savor each bite because I don’t know when I will have that chance again.

Facebookby feather

This entry was posted in Family and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to “What’s Wrong with Warm Soup?”

1. Jennie says:

so very sweet! love this post! I am doing a giveaway today and would love if you would stop by and check it out! http://www.thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

2. Barbara says:

Such a sweet and incredible post. I would take the warm soup any day!

3. MJ says:

When I became a Mama almost eight years ago, no one told me that I would be giving up hot soup, probably indefinitely. But it’s ok. Warm soup really is a blessing. Love this post.

4. Nicolette says:

For me it’s a hot cup of coffee but yes I totally agree that is what the microwave is for. I struggled with infertility so I understand where you are coming from, great post!

• Christie says:

So sorry for your struggle with infertility. We too with it but were blessed with our son through the gift of adoption. Dealing with infertility gives a special appreciation for the blessing of children!

5. This is so sweet! It’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it?

When my son was a newborn, I repeatedly had the experience of coming to the table for a grandma-cooked meal with my stomach growling, only to hear the baby wake up and start screaming for immediate satisfaction of HIS hunger. Because I was breastfeeding, only I could feed him, and at first I had to use both hands since he couldn’t support his own head. I would sit there nursing him and watching my own meal get cold, and sometimes it made me cry, but I knew life would be like that for only a short season–a season filled with many other precious, irreplaceable experiences. It was worth it!

But I certainly am grateful to live in an era of convenient home appliances and easy reheating. 🙂

6. Shell says:

It’s all about perspective, seeing the bigger picture rather than the warm soup. Love your attitude!

7. Adrienne says:

Love the perspective! There’s even plenty of delicious cold soups! 😉 Even when they’re driving me nuts, I’d take the warm soup. Stopping by from Shell’s place.

8. Anna Hettick says:

this post made me smile. my kids are both old enough know that I don’t have warm or cold food anymore but I remember the days when I did. And I’ll admit to being on both sides with this one. I missed hot soup but I knew the days were coming when it wouldn’t always be that way. 🙂

Visiting from Pour Your Heart Out!

9. Pingback: Don’t Dismiss the Boys: Pour Your Heart Out

10. Katrina says:

Eh, hot soup is overrated! I’ll take my warm, semi-cold soup with a smile, thank you very much 🙂

11. Shell says:

I highlighted your post as a fave from last week. Couldn’t find your twitter handle to tag you.