Baby Food: Wholesome Oatmeal Muffins

Banana Strawberry Muffins - Allergy friendly; dairy free, gluten free, egg free, and sugar from

Welcome Pinners! Thanks for visiting. I’ve recently received a handful of questions regarding this recipe, so below is an updated post and recipe.

When I first made these muffins, they were for my little guy, who was just about a year old. I was (and still am) always looking for nutritious “snacks” to feed him.  It is so easy to buy baby puffs or other pre-packaged convenience foods, but I cringe at the lack of nutritious value and the amount of sugar put in commercial baby food.

Awhile back I came across an Oatmeal Muffin recipe on Pinterest that had simple ingredients.  I was all set to make them for myself when I realized I didn’t have the Greek Yogurt the recipe called for.

As I was making the substitution of applesauce for the yogurt, I decided to add some strawberries in as well. Since the muffins had applesauce, banana and strawberry, was sugar really needed?  At this point, I thought I may as well try making them without the eggs….just to see how they would turn out. These muffins would also be a perfect finger food for my son!

Banana Strawberry Muffins from An Everyday Blessing. Sugar free, dairy free, gluten free and egg free.

I love these muffins because not only are they healthy, but they are also gluten-free (if you use gluten-free oats), dairy-free and egg-free.  They are packed with nutrition and I can feel great about giving them to my little guy!

Fast forward a year and a half, and my son is now 2 1/2 years old. As I made these muffins this week, he couldn’t stop eating them. And I was okay with that because they are completely healthy. How can I say “no” when they have three fruits, a whole grain and absolutely no sugar in them?

And let’s face it, even without sugar, they are pretty tasty to me too. Who needs the extra sugar anyway?

Banana Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 ripe bananas

10 large strawberries (washed and stem removed)

2 1/2 cups oatmeal, ground into flour (it comes out to 2 cups of oat flour)

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1.  In a blender, grind oatmeal until it’s fine like a flour.  (We have a Vitamix, so I used the dry grain blade to do this).  If you are using the same blender to make the muffins, pour the oat flour into a bowl and set aside.

2. Place applesauce, strawberries (see note below), banana, oatmeal flour, baking powder and baking soda into the blender.  It blends best if the wet, soft ingredients are on the bottom.  Blend well.

Note:  I have also diced up the strawberries into small pieces and folded them into the batter before baking.

3.  Pour batter into greased mini-muffin tins.  I fill them  almost to the top. These muffins don’t raise very much. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.

This recipe yields approximately 30 mini-muffins.

* NOTE:  Check with your pediatrician before serving strawberries in any form!

If you want to try making these muffins for yourself, you can follow this recipe:

Banana Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins (with egg and sugar)

1 cup applesauce

2 ripe bananas

10 large strawberries (washed and stem removed)

2 eggs (optional)

3/4 cup sugar

2 1/2 cups oatmeal

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

Follow directions from above!  Also, if you like chunks of strawberries, you may dice them and fold them into the batter before placing in muffin tins!

Facebookby feather

This entry was posted in Baby Food, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Baby Food: Wholesome Oatmeal Muffins

1. Mandi says:

Thanks for this recipe, I wonder if you can help me figure out what I did wrong. I used baby oatmeal because I have about 13 boxes of it, and substituted blueberries for strawberries (mixed them in at the end right before putting them into the pan), but other than that I followed this recipe to a T. They rose, then fell, drastically, and didn’t set up at all! I did two rounds of the same batter and it happened both times. Any ideas? Thanks so much for the recipe, I’m hoping it will turn out better next time!

• Christie says:

Hmmm…that’s a good question. It could be because the baby oatmeal is finer than grinding oats yourself. I’ve also had muffins fall if I pulled them out of the oven too soon. These ones are tricky too because they don’t have eggs. Mine do fall a tiny bit, but not much.

2. Melissa says:

Quick question regarding ingredients. Is it 2 1/2 cups of oatmeal (before it’s blended) or 2 1/2 cups of oatmeal flour? Just want to confirm.
    Also, how many mini muffins does this make?
    Thanks!

3. Christie says:

It’s 2 1/2 cups of oatmeal before blended (or 2 cups of oatmeal flour), and it makes roughly 30 mini muffins. Thanks for asking! I updated the recipe above!!

4. Christy says:

These were good. I doubled the recipe, added an extra banana because mine were small. They held together well and my kids (1 and 3) liked them. I could have used more flavor but if the kids are eating something sugar free, I won’t change a thing!! Thanks!

5. Lynn says:

Thanks for the recipe. I made my daughter’s half birthday cake and went on to make little breakfast muffins (great idea!). Since she is only 7 months old, I left out the strawberries and added a little seltzer water to help the batter rise a little better. I have this site bookmarked for future batches of breakfast muffins.

6. michelle says:

Love these-they turned out perfect and baby loved them! What do you recommend for storage?

• michelle says:

I also left out the strawberries and blueberries because she is only 8 months_ thanks again for the recipe! We will be making them again and playing around with different fruits. My 10 year old enjoyed them as well✳:-)

• Christie says:

I would store in an air-tight container in the fridge. These tend to get moldy quickly left out on the counter!

7. Jessica says:

I am looking forward to making these for my one year old daughter especially but I am sure my husband and I will enjoy it as well. I am also collecting recipes to prep for later this year when I have our second child. So I am wondering how well will the muffins freeze and how should I reheat and deforst them ?

8. Sarah says:

My son LOVES these! He turns two in May. The only thing I changed was I sifted the oat flour after I ground it. The muffins rose beautifully and had a great, fluffy texture. It’s a bit time consuming to sift, but maybe that helps them rise and not fall? I’ve added a bit of cinnamon and vanilla to this next batch to play around with flavor. 🙂 I’m going to try these with rasberries at some point, too. Thanks for the recipe!

9. Heather says:

I’m really interested in making these but have a question. Could I use almond meal in these instead of oat flour and what ratio would I use if I can?

10. Tracy says:

Yum! I just wanted to say that I played with this because bananas constipated my baby so I used one grated zucchini and one small sweet potato in place of the two bananas and added a bit of cinnomon. I followed all of you others ingredients and baking instructions. Thank you thank you! I’ve been looking for a sugar free, dairy free and egg free muffin! He eats oatmeal for breakfast but doesn’t like to be spoon fed anymore at 10.5 months. He’s happily getting oats, fruits and veggies in one muffin!

11. Kerri Sage says:

Do they need to be in mini muffin pans, or could i use regular sized muffin pans? Thanks.